I have a dumb question... I'm not new to wikis or anything, and I figured I might be able to help this wiki out since it's missing articles for two Alaskan nations (I recently saw the option to release them while playing as Great Britain in the late 1860s (in a game where Britain had beaten Russia in the war for Belgium, and took Russian Alaska).
Now, my dumb question comes in, where do I find all of the information for these articles in the files? For example, the flag file(s) to upload, an official name (since there were two nations in the two different Alaska areas; and I know nation names can change such as The Worker's Commonwealth), and maybe some other generic statistics. Also I was curious, do you know why the wiki doesn't include alternate flags and information for each country?
I'd like to contribute, but I have no idea where to find the flags and official information out-of-play, so I figured I'd ask (and you were the most recent person to edit on the Recent Changes). Thanks. DukeofHoth (talk) 08:02, 20 July 2015 (CEST)
- Welcome to the Victoria 2 Wiki.
- I'm a moderator on the Paradox wikis, but I don't play Victoria 2. I perceive only administrative tasks here.
- Nevertheless, I will try to help.
- The game code doesn't use country names - it uses country tags. The lcoalisation of this tags is in the files in the localisation folder. You find a list of all country tags in the file countries.txt in the common folder. This list contains also the related history files (folder: history/countries). These files contain the statistical information you seek.
- The country name and the country flag can change if a nation changes its form of government. But it's still the same nation with the same country tag. I don't think it's useful to have a page for Great Britain, the Republic of Britannia and the Worker's Commonwealth. Don't forget, I don't play Victoria II. – Lillebror (talk) 13:53, 20 July 2015 (CEST)
- Oh, ok. Before I look into that I had another question or two. Why does this wiki seem so... inactive? Also, rather than have wikis for these single games as the Paradox Wikis, why not have wikis for the game series, i.e. a Victoria Wiki for all of the Victoria content, a single EU Wiki for all EU content, etc? DukeofHoth (talk) 03:17, 21 July 2015 (CEST)
- The wikis are made by the players – voluntarily, no one is forced.
- I can only speak in relation to EU. The games are so different that you really need a separate section or subpage for each game of a topic. (For EU3 you need sometimes sections for each expansion). I think that would make things unnecessarily complicated and confusing.
- I'm sorry, I think I cannot help you furthermore. – Lillebror (talk) 08:51, 21 July 2015 (CEST)
I would like to answer your quistion about Alaska. Alaska can be released as a "dominion" but it is not in the game files. The Game Generates random nations based on colonial provinces. Alaska is one of the randomly generated nations in your game. If someone colonizes e.g. West Morocco "The Kingdom of West Morocco" might be randomly generated but it is not in the game files and thus not in this Wiki. All the games in Victoria 2 are listed in the country list, but not all have a page. The ones marked with red does not have a page.
The dominions in the game files is used to create those randomly generated nations. ~ Freger