- For a list of countries by population, see Countries table.
Units of population are called POPs. They are Victoria 2's way of simulating an ever-changing populace and form the basis of the entire economy and political system.
Each POP represents a group of people of similar origin, work, belief and location (usually interpreted as a nuclear family). Rather than hundreds of millions of people changing, as in the real world, mere thousands of POPs grow or shrink in size as circumstances dictate. Each province has its own POPs; instead of POPs moving between provinces, POPs grow or shrink due to immigration and emigration factors (potentially disappearing altogether or being newly created).
POPs come in ten different types, depending on the work they do and their status in society. POPs are separated by profession, culture and religion. Each POP also has its own needs, wealth, literacy, attitudes, ideologies, opinions and desires.
POPs only represent healthy adult males of a population, as these did most of the working, voting and fighting in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Hence, only 25% of a country's total population is actually represented as POPs.
Needs are calculated this way:
Needs = (1 + Plurality) * (1 + 2 * CON / PDEF_BASE_CON[Defines.lua) * (1 + inventions * INVENTION_IMPACT_ON_DEMAND[Defines.lua]) * base[pop file] * BASE_GOODS_DEMAND[Defines.lua] * pop size / 200000
- The base demand is 1 unit per day per 200,000 people in a pop, multiplied by the define
BASE_GOODS_DEMAND(in vanilla this is 0.8).
- Plurality increases demand by the same as its percentage. (100% plurality means 100% extra needs.)
- Consciousness increases demand depending on PDEF_BASE_CON (default 20). A consciousness of 2.94 and PDEF_BASE_CON of 20 would result in 1+2*2.94/20=1.294 so +29.4% demand.
- Each invention cumulatively increases demand by
INVENTION_IMPACT_ON_DEMAND(in vanilla: 0.5%).
Life needs ignore inventions. Modifiers do not affect needs.
No pop needs any good that no one has invented yet. For example, in 1836 no one needs radios.
|Lower Class||Middle Class||Upper Class|