This glossary explains jargon and abbreviations commonly used when discussing, playing and modding Victoria 2. Although simpler terms are usually better, sometimes specific terms like the ones listed here make communication easier by carrying more detail.
A - E
- AAR: After action report, a player-written description of a Victoria 2 game they played. Often a fictional story told from a nation's point of view, accompanied by screenshots or other supporting materials. There is a dedicated section for after action reports on the Paradox Forums.
- AHD: Victoria II: A House Divided
- AI: Artificial intelligence, usually referring to computer-controlled countries.
- CB: Casus belli
- DLC: Downloadable Content
- DoW: Declaration of War
F - J
- FAQ: Frequently asked questions
- FOW: Fog of war
- Fog of war: The darkened areas on the map where players cannot see what is happening.
- IIRC: If I recall correctly
- IMHO: In my humble opinion / In my honest opinion
- IMO: In my opinion
K - O
- MTTH: Mean time to happen
- OPM: One Province Minor: a country that only owns one province. Used in other Paradox games like EU4
- OSM: One State Minor: a country that only owns one state. Exclusively used in V2
P - T
- PE: Planned economy, an economic party issue enabling very much government control but greatly harming capitalists.
- PM: Personal message, private message. Also used as a verb.
- POP: Population unit used in the economy, one POP = four population.
- RGO: Resource gathering operation
- RL: "Real life", not inside the world of Victoria II.
- SOI: Sphere of Influence
- Tag: A unique three-letter code used to identify a country in the game files, such as "GER" for Germany.
U - Z
- UH: Upper house
- UTC: Universal Time Coordinated, approximately equivalent to the time in England, with no adjustment made for daylight savings.
- WP: White peace
- White Peace: A peace treaty whereby neither side enforces demands on the other and neither is considered a victor.